We provide services for most gastrointestinal, pancreato-biliary, nutrition and liver disorders.
Gastroenterology inpatients normally stay on the Alan Apley Ward. Our specialist outpatient clinics are run at both Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospitals. Endoscopy services for outpatients and inpatients are carried out at both Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospitals.
We have special interests in interventional pancreato-biliary endoscopy, endoscopic ultrasound, oesophageal, gastric and colonic interventional endoscopy, liver disease, inflammatory bowel disease, coeliac disease, oesophageal physiology and nutrition.
Our service scores consistently highly on patient satisfaction. We also have a strong research portfolio allowing us to work internationally and to develop tools that provide the best possible care for our patients.
Our specialist services
- Specialist inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) services: telephone and outpatients clinics/ IBD infusion unit and advice line. Perianal virtual clinic.
- Hepatology: diagnosis and treatment of Hepatitis B and C. Non alcoholic and alcoholic fatty liver disease. Metabolic liver diseases. Complications of cirrhosis/portal hypertension. Liver cancer (HCC) surveillance.
- Pancreatobiliary: diagnosis and management of pancreatic and biliary stones, chronic pancreatitis, biliary and pancreatic cancer and precancerous condition.
- Nutrition: Enteral feeding. Home and inpatient parenteral nutrition.
- Upper GI physiology unit: covers the most advanced techniques for the study of oesophageal disease, including pH impedance, high resolution manometry, 24 hour pH-monitorins, BRAVO 4-6 day wireless pH monitoring.
- Screening and early diagnosis of oesophageal cancer.
- Endoscopy: the endoscopy unit at St Thomas’ offers state-of-the-art facilities, including high quality fluoroscopy, general anaesthesia, scope guides, and live videoconferencing.
- Upper GI: diagnostic endoscopy. Dedicated Barrett’s surveillance. Endotherapy oesophagus and stomach (EMR/ESD/polypectomy). Radiofrequency ablation of Barrett’s oesophagus. Endoscopic treatment of portal hypertension, variceal banding. POEM
- Lower GI: Polipectomy/EMR/ESD. Diagnostic and surveillance colonoscopy. Surveillance of IBD. Removal of large polyps.
- Gastric balloons: for treatment of obesity.
- Endoscopic ultrasound (EUS): diagnostic and therapeutic.
- Small bowel: capsule endoscopy, single balloon enteroscopy.
- Pancreatobiliary: ERCP (endoscopic retrograde cholangio pancreatography), biliary and pancreatic stenting, endoscopy drainage of pancreatic cysts and collections.
- Inpatients: our inpatients are mainly admitted to Alan Apley Ward.