Coronavirus: community heart failure update
In response to the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, please read our advice and information before sending any referrals.
Community referral contacts
For all referrals to the community heart failure nurse specialist team, please complete a heart failure referral form (Word 56Kb) and email it to gst-tr.KHPcommunityHF@nhs.net
To find out if your referral has been received, please contact Yvonne Blondell, service coordinator, on Tel: 020 3049 4652.
- confirmed diagnosis of heart failure by echo/MRI
- patients with preserved EF must have a management plan from a heart failure cardiologist or elderly care consultant with an interest in heart failure.
- patients with a GP registered outside of Southwark/Lambeth
- patients unwilling to engage with this support
- other immediate life threatening illness i.e. advanced malignancy
- end stage renal disease CKD V (egfr<15)
- CKD IV egfr>15 in agreement with renal team and management plan from cardiologist
- patients on dialysis
- immediately post MI unless previously known to service or EF ≤ 30%.
Area of referrals
The community team manage patients with confirmed heart failure and are unable to accept referrals without a copy of the formal echocardiogram as this is required to provide safe and appropriate care. For suspected heart failure, please follow the NT-proBNP pathway, see the hospital heart failure service referral page for guidance.
Education and support
Heart failure team contact details (for GPs)
GPs are welcome to contact us if they would like to discuss a patient and where appropriate, joint visits can be arranged with the GP or other health professionals.
For same day advice on the management of confirmed heart failure patients, contact your locality heart failure specialist nurse.
To contact your dedicated consultant (for diagnostic queries, admissions avoidance and complex patient management, email the consultant mailbox (response within 24 hours, Monday-Friday).
For service queries and comments, contact Silapiya Smith, lead heart failure specialist nurse (acute and community):
Telephone number : 020 7188 9760 via the Acute Heart Failure Team administrator.
For medications advice, adherence or polypharmacy reviews contact heart failure clinical pharmacists, Clare Thomson and Gayle Campbell:
Mobile: 07918 338 862.