This page lists leaflets and other useful resources used by our department.
Sickle Cell Society – charity providing help and support for people affected by sickle cell disorders and their carers.
NHS Sickle Cell and Thalassaemia Screening Programme – the website of this national screening programme includes information about sickle cell disease and thalassaemia and useful resources.
Patient information leaflets
Each leaflet is reviewed at least every three years to make sure it is kept up to date.
- This leaflet gives information to help answer questions that you and your potential donors may have about bone marrow transplants for sickle cell disease.
- This leaflet will answer some of the questions you may have about having an exchange blood transfusion as a treatment for sickle cell disease.
- This information sheet has been given to you to help answer some of the questions you may have about taking hydroxycarbamide for the management of sickle cell disease. It contains information on the benefits and risks of taking hydroxycarbamide, how to take and store it, and how it works, including the changes it causes in the blood.
- This leaflet provides you with information about using a Desferal Infusor (pump)
- Information leaflet on the Sickle Day Unit at Guy's Hospital, for the treatment of patients with sickle cell disease who are experiencing a painful crisis.