Barry F A Quinn
Integrated clinical care
Barry Quinn is the team/clinical service lead for integrated clinical care at Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust.
He is also:
- Flexible learning Prosthodontics and Aesthetic Dentistry lead examiner at the King's College Dental Institute
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) Years 4 and 5 Curriculum Chair
- Applied Dental Science Course Lead
- BDS Year 1 Examinations Chair
Clinically, Barry has been a consultant in restorative dentistry since 2004 and a specialist in prosthodontics, periodontics and endodontics since 1999.
Other positions include:
- Deputy lead for the Objective Structured Clinical Examination for the Overseas Registration examination (Part 2).
- Royal College of England Examiner for the Membership in Restorative Dentistry (MRD) since 2009 and Examiner for the Membership of the Joint Dental Faculties (MJDF) examination since 2007.
- Final BDS External Examiner for Khartoum Medical Sciences College in Sudan since 2007.
- Second BDS External Examiner for Cardiff University Dental School since 2010.
- Third BDS External Examiner for Queen’s University Belfast since 2013.
- Past National Registrar representative on the Senior Registrars Restorative Dentistry Group.
- Past editorial board member of the Journals Private Dentistry and Aesthetic and Implant Dentistry.
- Editorial Board of European Journal of Dental Education
- Editorial Reviewer for Journal of Dental Education
- Represents the dental institute within King's Learning Institute and is editor of the Dental Institute’s Profile publication.
- International Association of Dental Research, Education Research Group Elected Councillor, June 2012
- Elected Senior Dental Staff Representative to King’s College London Academic Board
- Twice selected King’s College London Dental Society Staff President for 2007 and 2014
Education and training
- Membership in Restorative Dentistry of The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh in 1994
- Master of Science (MSc) with distinction from Eastman Dental Institute, University of London
- Fellowship from the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons in Glasgow and The Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland in 1991
- Training in a wide range of dental specialities
- Qualified from the United Medical and Dental Schools of Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospitals, University of London in 1987
- Simulation for dental cavity preparation (hapTEL) project
- Inter-professional education
- Oral health promotion for inpatient care and the impact on health outcomes
- Use of interactive technologies to improve student engagement in learning
- Continuing professional development educational research
- Tooth erosion caused by recreational/social drinking
- Implant and tooth borne prostheses
Barry is a regular presenter at the American Dental Educational Association, Association of Dental Education of Europe, American educational Research Association and the International Association of Dental Research.
He has supervised 3 MClinDent(Prosthodontics) research theses.
- Times Higher Education Awards Runner up in ICT Innovation, November 2013
- Association of Dental Education of Europe Awarded Excellence in Dental Education (Senior Award), July 2013
- King’s College London Research Project of the Year, October 2012
- Economic and Social Science Research Council top 8 projects out of over 300, September 2012
- Inspire Award from Guy’s and St. Thomas’ Foundation Trust, June 2012
- Naidex National Awards for Oral Health Promotion, May 2012
- King’s College London Dental Institute Teaching Excellence Award, May 2012
- Medical Futures, Two Awards for best innovation in Dentistry and overall innovation in healthcare, June 2011
- Simulation and Technology Enhance Learning Initiative Runner Up for clinical simulation, November 2010
- The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh Medal for the most outstanding performance in the Membership in Restorative Dentistry Examination, 1994
- Distinction in MSc (conservative dentistry) from the Institute of Dental Surgery Eastman Dental Hospital
Tel: 020 7188 4930
Email: [email protected]
- Restorative dentistry
Last updated: January 2023